JessicaSprague.com Message Boards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Two Page digi Spreads?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Two Page digi Spreads?
Stacey99
Pumped from Using the mouse!
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Female Stacey Siegal Photography Location: On a Florida Beach
Two Page digi Spreads? 16 Years, 9 Months ago  
I'd like to do a few two-page spreads to cover events like vacations/trips since one page isn't enough. What's the best way digitally? I do have a wide format printer, but not sure how to go about this. I tend to create 12x12 so do you create two 12X12 layouts and print and hope your two pages match in the middle? Or do you create a 12x24 canvas, but then how do you print that? Thanks in advance if anyone knows the answer to this:S

Stacey

Logged Logged

Canon 5D Mark II
135 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4
My photography blog:: My food blog
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
jsamuels
I'll Just Start Over!!!
Digital Superstar!
Gender: Female Progress not Perfection Location: New Jersey Birthday: 11/28
Re:Two Page digi Spreads? 16 Years, 9 Months ago  
Stacey, I don't know if there is a technical answer but what I would do as in paper scrappping is keep to the same theme, papers, elements, etc. If you used the wide format you could print 24in. and then cut in the middle. Kinda tricky if you ask me and you would probably need a roll of paper and I am not sure if the quality would be that good, nevermind the price. Does Photoshop support a 12 x 24 in LO? Anyway just throwing some things out there, not really sure.

Logged Logged

Joan
27" iMac
MacbookPro
Canon 50D
CS5
Jana
JS Mentor
Gender: Female Jana's Journey jlholden15 Location: Spraground Forever! Birthday: 03/15
Stacey, don't probably have the answer you're looking for but with paper scrapping, I always do 2 page spreads but they are just simply 2 separate layouts put into the sleeves of the album. Like Joan said, I just use complimentary papers, elements, colors, etc. I figure with the center binding of the albums, they're never seamless anyway so why fret. Jessica has mentioned doing a 12 x 24 LO & then cut in half so I guess it's just a personal preference here.

Logged Logged

JHsizzle
Telling my story
Resident Expert + Moderator
Gender: Female In the moment Location: Phoenix, AZ Birthday: 04/28
Stacey -- my experience is the same as Jana's. When I do two-page spreads, whether paper or digi, I just use the same papers/elements and then create two 12x12 (or 8x8, or whatever size) layouts. I use three-ring binder albums so the concept of having the two pages meet in the middle doesn't apply. (Although I must say I like the look of those two-page spreads where they cut the photo and have it lap across the two pages. But given my skill level and the albums I use, I think that's better in theory than in practice!)

Logged Logged

Janie
In the Moment

Photoshop CS4
Canon Rebel XSi
Canon SD880 IS
Stacey99
Janie - you're right on target with what I'm trying to do. Usually when I paper scrapped two pagers in 12 x 12, I usually had either an element or a photo that "crossed" the center since it was a fun technique. I think I'd better stick to just doing two pages separately and keeping all photos and elements on their respective pages. Hmmmm, maybe by using the rulers I can line up elements on each of the two pages that I want to give the appearance of continuation.
Stacey

Logged Logged

Canon 5D Mark II
LivE
Spraground Fixture
Administrator
Gender: Female LivEdesigns live.0319 Location: The Dark Side Birthday: 08/05
Stacey, there are excellent suggestions already posted by our girlfriends here... but in case you still want more info... I went answer-hunting for you and seem to have found what you're looking for. (I know Jessica did mention something about it, but my files are not yet tagged and categorized so I have no idea where to go hunting for it... easier to let my fingers do the walking )

The way to do it is, as mentioned, make a 12x24 layout. If you want to put your photos in the center of both sides, that's fine. When you want to print it out already, you save the full layout, then flatten it, then split the 12x24 into two halves, giving you two 12x12's (make sure they're flattened before you split them) and save those two parts as separate images that you can then print out.

How to split: Draw a 12x12 box around each part that makes up your full-spread layout, then copy and paste it into a 12x12 new document. This is why it's important to flatten it before you split it, because if you don't, you'll end up copying and pasting bits and pieces of the layout instead of the entire half.

Here's the thread where I found the answers, if you want to sift through it:
http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums/arc...index.php/t-444.html

Hope this helps! <br><br>Post edited by: LivE, at: 2007/08/06 14:28

Logged Logged

~Liv~ LivEdesigns

Stacey99
Liv, you are awesome (everyone else, too!). Okay - two questions: After flattening the full 12x24 lo, how do I &quot;split&quot; it into two halves. Is there a particular method or control, to do this? I hope this isn't a dumb question:S but my brain cells are feeling age 45 (heeheeheeheehee). Second, I remember one of our wonderful ladies asking a question way back when on the message board about flattening and that Jessica didn't have us do that in class. Do you remember what the response was to that? I must've been traveling and lost track of that particular thread. Why and when do we flatten? Is creating our .jpeg copy of our .psd doing the same thing? I have no idea! I hope you had a great birthday!!!!

Thanks,

Stacey

Logged Logged

Canon 5D Mark II
Stacey99
Woops! That'll teach me to write before reading everything! I was so quick to copy and paste your info that I didn't read your last paragraph about how to split. Duh on me! I'm still not sure about the whole flattening thing though - I'm sure we'll cover it in the next class, but if you could provide just a basic &quot;why&quot; I will send you plenty of hugs.

Thanks!

Stacey

Logged Logged

Canon 5D Mark II
LivE
Spraground Fixture
Administrator
Thanks Stacey, had a great Italian birthday dinner so that was fun! And Jana and I just went on a major digital shopping spree a few minutes/hours ago so I'm a happy woman! hehehe

I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I think that question posted before had to do with flattening layers while working on a layout. When you save the layout as a jpeg, it flattens it automatically (meaning it's not a psd file anymore and you lose your layers on the jpeg file... but of course, the layers are retained on the psd file).

Once you're done completely with the 12x24 layout, you would want to save it first as psd (in case you decide to make any changes later on... I always keep the psd files). Then you save that 12x24 layout as a jpeg (the same procedure that Jessica taught us). Once you've saved that as jpeg, the layers are already flattened. On that jpeg file, split each half of the 12x24 layout into your two 12x12 parts, then copy/paste each side into a 12x12 new document, then save EACH under a separate, different file name. That way, you can print them out as 2 different files but still have them meet at the center.

Does that make sense? Hope I'm speaking sense, cos it's 4am here in my part of the world... hahaha. Well, I'll check in on you tomorrow as I have to hit the sack now. Good luck!

Logged Logged

~Liv~ LivEdesigns

Stacey99
Thanks Liv! It makes sense, and will make more sense once I get to the task. Good grief - go get some shut-eye my friend! It's 3:15 pm here on the east coast! And thanks for always being so helpful!And, here's some hugs..{ } { } { } { }
Stacey<br><br>Post edited by: Stacey99, at: 2007/08/07 01:17

Logged Logged

Canon 5D Mark II
LivE
Spraground Fixture
Administrator
((((HUGS)))) to you too, Stacey! So glad to be able to help! Let me know if it worked for you!

Logged Logged

~Liv~ LivEdesigns

Go to top

Let's Keep in Touch!

Copyright 2013 JessicaSprague.com. All Rights reserved.