JessicaSprague.com Message Boards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Laptop Recommendations???
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Laptop Recommendations???
scrapnladybug
Newbie!
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Laptop Recommendations??? 16 Years, 11 Months ago  
Hi,

My DH wants to get me a laptop for my bday Any suggestions on what I need to look for as far as hard drive size, processors, etc.? And I really don't know what things I need to make sure I get on a laptop. I want to make sure I have enough space for digi scrapping

Anyone have a newer laptop with Vista? What if any problems are you having with it?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Donna

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
JHsizzle
Telling my story
Resident Expert + Moderator
Gender: Female In the moment Location: Phoenix, AZ Birthday: 04/28
Re:Laptop Recommendations??? 16 Years, 11 Months ago  
Hi Donna -- no doubt you will get a lot more detailed info from those who are more computer literate than me, but I just wanted to share two thoughts: First, I just bought my daughter a Dell laptop equipped with the Windows Vista operating system, and it is AWESOME! She has had no problems with it and we've found the upgrades coming from Windows and Dell to be sufficient in solving any issues. I got her the enhanced media package and the screen is amazing!

Second, the thing I found when ordering both her laptop and my desktop (also a Dell) is that RAM is very key to operating speed. My desktop has 4G RAM and is smoking fast! On my old computer I got very tired of waiting for PSE4 to load, etc. You also need to consider memory storage and other factors, and like I said, I'm sure others will weigh in. HTH, J.

Logged Logged

Janie
In the Moment

Photoshop CS4
Canon Rebel XSi
Canon SD880 IS
putnamd55@gmail.com
I should have been born RICH!
Digital Superstar!
Gender: Female My Turn on Earth putnamd55 Location: Georgia Birthday: 04/21
One of the best investments that I would recommend is to also purchase an external USB hard-drive for storage of your scrapbooking and photo files. I have heard of so many people who have to constantly clean off their laptops because it won't hold everything they want. I personally have a 400gb external hard-drive that is very small and very portable. I connect it to my laptop with a usb cable. It's awesome and the price just keeps going down so you should be able to get a large drive for a little price. I keep all of my scrapbooking and photos on it. That way I can also connect it to my desktop and voila all my files are accessible without having to transfer them from laptop to desktop. Hope this info is useful.

Logged Logged

- Deb P. - PC - CS3 - Canon 30D

mer
I can clone that out, don't worry...
I also have a portable external hard drive. I bought it for school, but mostly use it for my digital scrapbook supplies. Mine is small also, only about 3"x5"x1/2" which means I take it everywhere with me. I can't tell you how much freedom I felt after I bought it. Freedom is a funny word to use, but it's exactly what I felt. I LOOOOOOVE it! There are some really good prices out there on them. I bought mine about a year ago and they are less than half the price now than they were. A great suggestion, especially for a laptop which typically doesn't have as large as a hard drive as a desktop has available.

Logged Logged

Mer/Marie

chellescraps
Runs with Crop Tool!
I have a dell inspiron E1405 w/vista and upgraded ram, hard drive and the like. I am loving it. I have just gotten into digi so, right now I still have just mostly pictures but well over 20,000 on it. Backed up to an external drive at this point.

good luck!

Logged Logged

JHsizzle
Telling my story
Resident Expert + Moderator
Gender: Female In the moment Location: Phoenix, AZ Birthday: 04/28
chellescraps -- that's the exact laptop I got my daughter -- she loves it!

Logged Logged

Janie
In the Moment

Photoshop CS4
Canon Rebel XSi
Canon SD880 IS
nerdgirl
Newbie!
I have to say I love my macbook.

Logged Logged
Lexicam
Have a Scrappy Day!
Pumped from Using the mouse!
Another plug for the MAC. I have recently gotten a mac and LOVE IT!! I had used a PC for MANY years and found the switch easy. I Photo is awesome, I also use it to store all my digi scrapping stuff. If you have never checked out the macs, do it, you will not be dissapointed. Happy shopping!!

Logged Logged

Lisa
My Blog
Mac Girl
PSCS3 & Lightroom2
Canon 50D
Go to top

Let's Keep in Touch!

Copyright 2013 JessicaSprague.com. All Rights reserved.