JessicaSprague.com Message Boards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Need help choosing an organizer app
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Need help choosing an organizer app
MaryfrancesFabbri
Newbie!
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Need help choosing an organizer app 10 Years, 3 Months ago  
Hi, I am new here. Been capturing photos and scrapbooking for about 17 years now.

I just recently moved over to the Apple world first by getting an iPhone then for Christmas an iMac. I have over 40,000 photos and have been keeping them on my PC stored by year, month etc. I would like to start using an organizer like iPhoto, Picassa, Lightroom, PSE Organizer.

I have been trying them all out and of course have found some things I like in one and not the other. My main concern is that I do all my photo printing at home. And I pretty much never print a normal size photo...I love squares.

I have been using Corel and printing multiple size photos on one sheet of paper has never been an issue. I would crop and edit and then in the printing set up drag them to one blank sheet and fit as many on a page as I can.

So far I have only found that I can do this in Lightroom. iPhoto and Picassa give you templates to follow but nothing that is customizable. And PSE doesn't give you a drag and drop feature to just pull your photos onto a black page and fit in as many as you can. Or maybe I am missing it.

I need some help please. I really want to tag all my photos and organize them the best I can. But, printing this way is very important to me. I do it ALL the time. I have wanted to move to PSE and a Mac for a long time but I am really missing what I had in Corel.

Sorry to be so long winded, my brain is about to explode after looking into all these apps for the last few weeks. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Pesc
Ctrl-a Ctrl-c Ctrl-v Ka-chow!
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Female Pescbrico Location: Baie-Comeau Birthday: 01/23
Re:Need help choosing an organizer app 10 Years, 3 Months ago  
I used Picasa before but for what you need I don't think it does the trick.

I think you cannot go wrong with Lighroom. It will let you tag all your photos, it will let you make the square template that you love so much. You will be able to make it a preset (I think) for printing this way.

You can make a lot of editing directly in lightroom but it does not alterate the original photo. So even if you crop the picture in square in edition or in printing. You will always be able to go back to the original size if needed.

It takes some time to learn the software but you won't regret it.

Good luck making your decision.

Logged Logged

Nikon D7100, Nikon D80, 50mm 1.8, usual kit lenses, Tamron 28-75 2.8, SB-700 - PS CS5 - Lightroom 3.6 - Fujifilm X10
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top

Let's Keep in Touch!

Copyright 2013 JessicaSprague.com. All Rights reserved.