JessicaSprague.com Message Boards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Can't open raw file from new camera in Elements 9
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Can't open raw file from new camera in Elements 9
kblondie
Newbie!
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Can't open raw file from new camera in Elements 9 10 Years, 8 Months ago  
Hello~

I have purchased a new Nikon D7100 camera. I just took over 200 photos in raw and I'm trying to open them in my Elements 9. They will not open! I have reviewed my class I took with Jessica to make sure I'm doing it correctly. But I still come up with a error message. Not sure if there is an update I need to preform with it being a new camera? If anyone can help me with this problem it would be great.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
KBear
Kimber
Photography TA, JS Mentor, & Forum Guru
Re:Can't open raw file from new camera in Elements 9 10 Years, 8 Months ago  
You're on the right track. You didn't do anything wrong. Once Adobe releases a new version of Photoshop Elements, they no longer support their old versions. Unfortunately, this means that newer cameras' Raw files aren't recognized by the old software.

There are a couple of threads in the Digital Photography forum dealing with the same issue, if you want to look there for some possible solutions. (I can search for them tonight, but my kids just came in the door, so I need to get to our after school frenzy.)

Logged Logged
kblondie
Newbie!
Okay I have done more searching and I have come up with that I need to update my Photoshop software (Elements 11). My elements 9 does not support it but I have downloaded a DNG converter and I can open them. YAY ME!

So my next question is what software is best for me? Do I stay with the Elements or go with a full version like CSD 6? Does Jessica teach classes on the newer Photoshop versions or will the classes I have already purchased work?

Logged Logged
Pesc
Ctrl-a Ctrl-c Ctrl-v Ka-chow!
Gender: Female Pescbrico Location: Baie-Comeau Birthday: 01/23
Their is a free solution for you. You can transform your RAW files in DNG that your photoshop will be able to open. I had the exact same issu when I bought this same camera but with Lightroom 3. Their is a free application that's called ADOBE DNG converter on the Adobe Website and it's free. Just make sure that you select the right compatibility for the version of DNG files you will select and you will be fine.

If I were in your situation, I would buy the last version of lightroom that will support the new RAW files and I'm pretty sure you will fall in love with that software... after learning how to use it. You will still be able to use your Photoshop element when needed.

You will also love your new camera!!

Logged Logged

Nikon D7100, Nikon D80, 50mm 1.8, usual kit lenses, Tamron 28-75 2.8, SB-700 - PS CS5 - Lightroom 3.6 - Fujifilm X10
KBear
Kimber
Photography TA, JS Mentor, & Forum Guru
If you like Photoshop Elements (and if you want to upgrade), I would recommend Photoshop Elements 11 over the full version. The full version of Photoshop is substantially more expensive, and most people will never use all the features included in it. Jessica teaches her newest classes in Elements, although the PDFs include information about CS when it differs.

Logged Logged
Go to top

Let's Keep in Touch!

Copyright 2013 JessicaSprague.com. All Rights reserved.